In May 2020, there was a huge increase in web searches for online grocery delivery, amid the COVID-19 outbreak. These trends drove rapid acceleration in the US courier delivery market, expanding the size to an estimated $133.8 billion in 2022.
Image Source: IBIS World
This was not a temporary phase that ended with the reopening of the economy. It marked a secular shift in customer behavior and expectations. Additionally, the pandemic led to supply chain disruptions, forcing companies to better manage their deliverables to remain competitive.
Some companies make the mistake of choosing numerous plug-in modules to ease different parts of the delivery process. However, this approach has proved to be inefficient and ineffective and comes with installation issues and poor support. Instead, it’s ideal to choose a comprehensive, cost-effective and customizable courier software to efficiently meet the expectations of the most discerning customers. The courier software should allow a logistics company to optimize their entire business, from order creation to invoicing, bringing efficiency at every stage and helping scale operations with ease.
To make the decision, here are some signs of the best courier software.
- Delivery for Different Timeframes – Your company may offer different delivery schedules, like same-day, next-day, or scheduled for a particular date. The courier software should allow for resource allocation accordingly. This is particularly important as the US same-day delivery market is estimated to expand at a CAGR of over 10%.
- Cross Browser – The software should work seamlessly across browsers so that your team is not bound to one browser. With this, your staff can use the software from anywhere and at any time on their laptops and PCs.
- Dynamic Route Optimization – This feature will help your company significantly increase dispatcher productivity and reduce vehicle operating costs. This will allow for better customer service.
- Contactless Options – Choose a software with an auto-dispatch functionality to allow contactless dispatching. Using advanced technologies like artificial intelligence enables the complete automation of operations.
- Customization – The software should allow customizable SMS and email updates to customers to enhance your brand value. It should also have custom options, like dispatching from multiple hubs and scheduling load and unload times.
- Free Mobile Reporting App – The software should seamlessly integrate with an app for tracking drivers. With such an app downloaded on driver cellphones, you can track them with GPS, streamline communication with them, and get visual proof of delivery.
- KPI Reporting – A user-friendly dashboard with interactive KPIs on different stages in scheduling, dispatch and delivery will greatly increase visibility. This allows faster and more informed decision-making through the company.
Image Source: https://www.keysoftwaresystems.com/uploads/2/7/8/5/27857909/screens-2_orig.png
A robust courier software will not only drive cost efficiencies but also improve customer experience. This is essential in today’s competitive landscape. The good news is that the investment in courier software pays off, with 86% of customers willing to pay a premium for a better experience.
When choosing the best courier software, don’t forget to check their list of clients and partners. This establishes the company’s credibility and the efficacy of its courier software. Also, check their website for association memberships, like the CLDA (Customized Logistics and Delivery Association) and AEMCA (Air and Expedited Motor Carrier Association).